with a menu of photography, books, jazz, poetry, and other items occasionally

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Unfurling the Awning

Named for a cafe that once existed in Paris and referred to as La Lune Rouge in my French textbooks when I was studying French as an undergraduate, this blog will contain occasional posts about a variety of subjects, such as poetry, graduate school, finding work as a PhD, the American West, living in Kansas, growing up as a Navy brat, movies, and music (mostly jazz but occasionally traditional Irish music, such as Liz Carroll, Seamus Connolly, and Lunasa). Anyone passing by is welcome to sit under the awning on the sidewalk or to step inside. I'll offer a figurative cappuccino or, better yet, a latte topped with whipped cream once in a while.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world.

    I'm looking forward to reading your discussions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the welcome, Amy. I haven't made many posts as of yet. When I take time away from grading essays, I write a little bit in Word and once I complete what I want to say, I paste it into my blog. I have been thinking of this blog as a way of exercising my writing skills. The demands of teaching five sections each semester, and four during the summer, prevent me from doing any serious writing, so this blog provides a diversion and a way of writing more often. My entries so far have not addressed poetry and literature, except indirectly. The name I have given myself refers back to my seller account at Amazon. When I created this blog, I thought I might follow the lead of Blue Girl, Red State, who posts political commentary, hence the need for anonymity.

    ReplyDelete