with a menu of photography, books, jazz, poetry, and other items occasionally

Thursday, October 04, 2018

A Moment of Sunlight



When I was taking a walk near the Missouri River the other day, I managed to witness a moment when the sunlight revealed itself but for a few minutes in an otherwise cloudy day. Fortunately, I had my camera and managed to get a few shots.


During my walk, I overheard one homeowner say to another that the number of acorns has been unusually heavy this year and that the squirrels have been busy gathering both acorns and walnuts. She didn’t attach significance to these things, but a large crop of acorns and the squirrels collecting unusually large amounts of nuts point toward a long and severe winter, I’ve discovered. One of our local weather prognosticators says that the pattern of winter weather has started to set up and will continue to set up through November. The severity of the winter, he says, won’t be fully visible until the pattern repeats itself, starting in December. We’ll have to see.