with a menu of photography, books, jazz, poetry, and other items occasionally

Saturday, September 12, 2009

No More Plastic Water Bottles

No longer buying plastic bottles of water is one benefit that has come from having very little extra money. Probably the three of us in my family averaged three bottles of water per day, sometimes more in the heat of the summer. Drinking that much water caused us to spend about $14.00 every ten days, even though we were drinking some of the cheaper brands. We have now attached a filter to the kitchen sink so as to filter the water that we use for drinking.

This charcoal filter is supposed to significantly reduce the amount of atrazine in the water, a chemical that has been found in our city water on a regular basis. The city says that the highest amount of atrazine detected in our water, which is drawn from wells below the Missouri River before it is purified, is 1.8 ppb, which, according to the EPA, is at an acceptable range. Recent news reports reveal that the amount of atrazine is actually much higher in many parts of Kansas, and these reports call into question the validity of these water tests conducted by certain municipalities. Filtering the water is safer than simply drinking water from the tap.

It is unknown whether the water we were purchasing in bottles had ever been tested for chemicals. Having more control over what we put in our bodies is another reason to make this switch to filtered city water.

Now instead of storing plastic bottles in the refrigerator, we have been refilling glass water bottles and keeping a glass milk jug filled with water in the refrigerator. We also have to make fewer trips to the recycling center to drop off our plastic waste. Although I had been aware of the hazards to the environment that plastic water bottles created, I once doubted that I could ever give up the practice of drinking water from a plastic bottle. I’m happy to say that I have made the transition to a more environmentally friendly practice.

2 comments:

  1. I got one of those metal water bottles which I use now instead of carrying plastic. I also carry my own to-go-coffee cup to try and break myself of the starbuck's throw-away coffee cup.

    My next quest is to assign at least one day a week (to start) where the only foods we eat come from local producers (which means no coffee or Indian tea - aaaaaaaargh - but I suppose I will live.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an interesting challenge and the process of learning (oh so much to learn) is teaching me much about this place where I live now. I think that alone is worth the experiment.

    ReplyDelete