with a menu of photography, books, jazz, poetry, and other items occasionally

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Saving Books



Wednesday night, after a dinner partially made up of rice concoction, a recipe calling for brown rice, fried potatoes, eggs, and cheese and one that I acquired during my first semester of college so many years ago, I started watching TV with my wife. As I was watching the characters in The Day After Tomorrow keep themselves warm by burning books in the New York Public Library, I realized that the first book I would attempt to save, if I were in a similar situation, would be Elizabeth Bishop's The Complete Poems . My second choice, if it were possible to have a second choice, would be Robert Lowell's Life Studies . These books wouldn’t have to be first editions. What book or books would someone reading this blog want to save in a similar situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment