with a menu of photography, books, jazz, poetry, and other items occasionally

Monday, April 09, 2007

An Explanation of my Randomness

Sometimes when approaching a blank screen in Word, I often have no idea what I’m going to say. All I know is that I want to write. There are initial ideas that start the writing, having learned from composition theorists how important it is to write without stopping and without a concern for editing. Organizing and reworking what one writes doesn’t come until later. In the previous posting, I shifted from one thought to another and didn’t begin to maintain one idea until I arrived at Boomer Lake and begin to explore what associations the place holds for me. Some of the postings here in this blog are focused; other postings reveal my thinking process as I move from one subject to another. If one of my students had turned in the previous posting as an essay, I would have asked the student to delete the first couple of paragraphs and part of the third one because those paragraphs serve as warm-up writing. I cannot guarantee that my upcoming postings will be focused and only explore one subject in detail, but I can assure you that they will continue to reveal my thinking process. Taking the curves at a high rate of speed and running over potholes may well lead to the place where you wanted to go all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment