with a menu of photography, books, jazz, poetry, and other items occasionally

Sunday, October 15, 2023

Manhappiness

My friend Derick Burleson, the poet who died in 2016, used to refer to Manhattan, Kansas as "Manhappiness" when we were graduate students at Kansas State University. It seemed at the time that he had coined the word. 

I was surprised recently to see a building in Aggieville, the entertainment district near the campus, with the word Manhappiness above its doors. I didn't go inside the building. From what I noticed when walking by, it contained apparel for Kansas State fans. The previous building used to house Varney's bookstore when I was a student.

I am sure that Derick would have loved to see his word being used to describe Manhattan and one building in particular.



No comments:

Post a Comment