with a menu of photography, books, jazz, poetry, and other items occasionally

Thursday, October 20, 2022

Veterans Administration_Leavenworth


When I get the chance and want to vary where I walk, I sometimes visit the grounds of the Veterans Administration. 

Lake Juliette, which is located near the VA cemetery, provides a half-mile walking path. Although there should be more benches around the lake, it still provides a pleasant place to visit on Sunday afternoons when there isn't much traffic and very few, if any, people. I make at least two laps around the lake whenever I visit. 

No matter how hard I try to get a picture of the turtles sunning themselves on one of the sunken trees, they can detect my steps and even my shadow and slip into the water. I have been lucky enough, on a few occasions, to get a glimpse of a great blue heron when I am sitting on one of the benches.

Not all of the buildings at the VA have been renovated, unfortunately. I have managed to get a few pictures of the decaying buildings, with the aim of eventually posting these pictures in a Facebook group named Abandoned Kansas.











No comments:

Post a Comment