with a menu of photography, books, jazz, poetry, and other items occasionally

Sunday, December 05, 2021

Loess Bluffs National Wildlife Refuge

During the Thanksgiving holiday, I visited a nature refuge. It was once named Squaw Creek, but the name has since been changed to Loess Bluffs National Wildlife Refuge. During this time of year, the refuge is mostly a home to snow greese and bald eagles. At 250mm, my telephoto lens doesn't capture as much detail as a 400mm lens, but I am adding a few pictures, nonetheless.

If this nature refuge weren't three hours away, I would like to visit it more often in the fall and spring. The number of snow geese and bald eagles has increased significantly since Thanksgiving, according to the latest waterfowl survey. I particularly like hearing the clamor of thousands of snow geese as they gather in one section of the refuge. It's a sound that will stay with me.  






No comments:

Post a Comment