with a menu of photography, books, jazz, poetry, and other items occasionally

Friday, June 26, 2015

Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve

Earlier in June, I was at the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve, which contains almost 11,000 acres of unspoiled prairie, for the Symphony in the Flint Hills.  Held annually, the Symphony in the Flint Hills changes its location within the Flint Hills every year. This event began at the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve ten years ago and returned to that location for this year's concert. I wasn't there so much for the music as I was to enjoy the scenery. Although the weather forecasters were calling for rain, the event organizers decided to hold the concert regardless. My wife and I encountered rain during our trip to the Emporia area and wondered whether we would need to return home early. Fortunately, the skies cleared, and we had a pleasant afternoon and evening overlooking the prairie.