with a menu of photography, books, jazz, poetry, and other items occasionally

Friday, June 26, 2015

Dredging the Missouri River


During my birthday this spring, I managed to get outside and picnic with my family. I am not the kind of person who enjoys eating overpriced food at restaurants very often.

There isn't usually much barge traffic on this part of the Missouri River. I have only once seen a barge during my seventeen years in this area. A tugboat, or the equivalent, was pushing it downriver at the time.

Union Pacific moves most of the coal used for the power plants located nearby. The coal trains loaded with coal strip-mined in Wyoming head south early in the week and return empty, starting around Wednesday or so.

Nonetheless, someone has decided that it is necessary to dredge the channel. I certainly hope that the oil extracted in North Dakota doesn't end up getting shipped downriver.